This is episode 35, and I thought it would be fun to talk about what I’ve been reading, watching, and listening to lately! So I have 5 book recommendations, 5 show recommendations, and 5 podcast recommendations for you today! They cover a wide range of topics and interests, so I hope each one of you can find something that sounds interesting.
August 10th ep. 35, Read, Watch, Listen: Recommendations
Hi, friends! This is self-care and soul care for the caregiver, and I’m your host, Sandra Peoples. To us, self-care isn’t a luxury, it’s a necessity. We’re abiding caregivers who want to take better care of ourselves so we’re able to care for our loved ones who rely on us.
This is episode 35, and I thought it would be fun to talk about what I’ve been reading, watching, and listening to lately! So I have 5 book recommendations, 5 show recommendations, and 5 podcast recommendations for you today! They cover a wide range of topics and interests, so I hope each one of you can find one that sounds interesting to you!
At the end of the episode I mention a special-needs ministry conference happening this weekend that I don’t want you to miss! So listen all the way to the end for details about the Glorious Hope Conference hosted by Gospel Centered Family.
- Get Your Life Back from John Eldredge
- Saints and Scoundrels in the Story of Jesus by Nancy Guthrie
- The Lazy Genius Way by Kendra Adachi releasing Tuesday, Aug. 11th
- Finding Truth 5 Principles for Unmasking Atheism, Secularism, and Other God Substitutes by Nancy Pearcy
- Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer
- Speed Cubers on Netflix – Max and Felix, 40 minutes long
- Hoarding & My 600 Pound Life on TLC – empathy, stories
- Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix – with David
- Hamilton on Disney+ – with Lee
- Sports – all the time
- Paul Tripp Podcast, ep. 60 It’s Okay to Fear Coronavirus and 62, How This Pandemic Preaches the Gospel
- LOMAH with Kim current season on Complicated Behaviors, touching self and others (ep. 116) and Vocal and Verbal Stimming (ep. 117) 018: Introverts and Extroverts as Caregivers with Kim Albrecht
- Organize 365 ep. 344 Space Planning for Pandemic Living
- The Martha and Mary Show with Katie Reid, ep. 48 Freeing the Enneagram 1 and ep. 51, My Sibling with Special Needs
- Let’s Talk with Jackie Hill Perry, Melissa Kruger, and Jasmine Holmes, episode 6 on decision making
That was lots of fun recommendations for books, shows, and podcasts! I’m glad this episode came out on a Monday so you can make a list of what sounded good and make a plan to read, watch, or listen this week! I’m going to go back to all the podcasts I mentioned hit that five-star rating because that’s the best way to support the content creators who are encouraging us each week for free. I’d also love it if you took time to give my podcast a 5-star rating or leave a review! It helps others like us know this is the show for them!
Now pray with me as we end our time together, God, you give the good gifts of wisdom, talent, and an eye for beauty to authors, speakers, and creators. We are thankful recipients of what they produce. Thank You for all the ways we can learn and be encouraged through books, shows, and podcasts. When we count our blessings during this challenging COVID season, helps us to remember what helped us get through it and the memories we made with loved ones while enjoying being entertained. In Jesus’s name, amen.
Let me add one more thing to your to watch list:
This weekend, August 15th, I’ll be one of the keynote speakers at the Glorious Hope conference! The theme is How the Gospel Values People with Disabilities. My session takes parents and ministry leaders through the 5 phases of special-needs parenting, helping parents understand the path they are on and sharing how ministry leaders can care for parents in each stage. Dan Darling and Alix Carruth are the other keynote speakers we’ll hear from, and there are panel discussions with ministry leaders and parents we can watch. You can register for $15 at https://gospelcenteredfamily.com/ and watch the sessions live on Saturday, August 15th, or have access to them anytime! I hope you’ll join me!
Thanks for joining me today! In our Abiding Caregiver Facebook group, I’ll be asking for your book, show, and podcast recommendations! If you aren’t already a member, we’d love to have you join us! It’s one of the most supportive and encouraging places to hang out online. Have a great week friends, and I’ll meet you back here next Monday!