I’m a special-needs sibling raising a special-needs sibling, and I want to help you raise the special-needs siblings in your home with confidence and love.
It’s the topic I get more questions about than any other. Parents want to know if they are doing a good job when it comes to raising their typical children. Do they feel neglected? Am I putting too much pressure on them? What kind of relationship will they have in the future?
Your typical children can experience the unexpected blessings of being a special-needs sibling as you help them realize and appreciate those blessings! Check out my helpful resources below:
First, there’s a 14-day prayer series I did for the typical siblings in our families. Each day I shared emails that included:
- a focus verse
- a prayer based on the focus verse
- a short devotional
- a discussion question or activity you can do together based on your child’s current stage of development
Each email is linked here so you can start the series whenever it’s convenient for you!
Posts I’ve written about special-needs siblings:
- 7 Phrases Every Special-Needs Sibling Needs to Hear
- The Special Relationship Special-Needs Siblings Can Have
- Advice on How to Encourage Special-Needs Siblings (from a special-needs sibling)
- The Three Stages of Development Special-Needs Siblings Experience
- The Importance of Speaking Your Typical Children’s Love Languages
- Shining a Light on the Struggles of Shadow Siblings (including ways churches can help)
- When Siblings Feel Overwhelmed
- How much responsibility should our typical kids take on?
- How to avoid shaming special-needs siblings
Recommended Resources: (affiliate links included)
- Unexpected Blessings: The Joys and Possibilities of Life in a Special-Needs Family
- Sharing Love Abundantly in Special Needs Families: The 5 Love Languages® for Parents Raising Children with Disabilities