- Know the source. The best options would be to grow it yourself or buy it directly from the farmer or rancher (through a Farmer’s Market or CSA).
- Keep it simple. If the ingredient list of your favorite foods takes up half the package, it may not be the best food choice.
- Cook it yourself. One of the best ways to eat healthier!
- Cut the extras. I love to eat ranch dressing on my pizza. Then I realized how many calories I was adding! No more ranch for me!
- Care about the conditions of the animals you eat, the farmers who grow your food, and those you buy food from.
“The pleasure of eating should be an extensive pleasure, not that of the mere gourmet. People who know the garden in which their vegetables have grown and know that the garden is healthy will remember the beauty of the growing plants, perhaps in the dewy first light of morning when gardens are at their best. Such a memory involves itself with the food and is one of the pleasures of eating.
― Wendell Berry,
Books I’ve read and learned from on food: (affiliate links)